Work with researchers and teachers at UCLA Lab School
We will be offering one Graduate Student Research Award for the 2015-16 academic year. We are especially interested in recruiting students whose research interests are aligned with our focus on STEM. However, in recognition that innovation and groundbreaking research is driven by the passions and insight of practitioners and researchers in the field, applicants my also suggest their own line of research. Proposed projects will be evaluated on the individual merits and feasibility of the study. Priority will be given to projects that demonstrate collaboration or involvement of UCLA Lab School faculty and/or staff and active involvement of the applicant's faculty advisor.
The fellow will be expected to carry out and complete the data collection and analysis of the proposed project by the end of the 2015-16 academic year. You are expected to be at UCLA Lab School 10 hours per week to plan and carry out your project.
In addition, the fellow will complete the following reports as requested:
- Milestone reports as requested by CONNECT mentors
- CONNECTIONS newsletter article (if requested)
- Oral presentation to UCLA Lab School community (if requested)
- Final Report (due by September 2016)
Funding. You will be awarded $15,000, plus in-state fee remission, to carry out the proposed project.
Mentoring. You will benefit from close mentoring in the areas of research design, strategies for data collection and analysis, and reporting findings through a newsletter article, a research report, and a presentation reporting findings to participants and/or the Lab School community.
Follow-up Conference Presentation Funds. In the year after your award, you are highly encouraged to submit proposals to present your research at a professional conference of your choice. You will be reimbursed for up to $250 in conference-related costs (travel, hotel accommodations, registration fees, etc.) for presenting your work.
Email applications are preferred. Your application packet must include:
- 1) Applicant Information Sheet.
- 2) Personal Statement. This should be a 3-5 page statement that describes the proposed project, including the significance of the project, the supporting research base, study design, methods, and analysis plan. Please also indicate whether you have been in contact with any UCLA Lab School faculty or staff regarding this project.
- 3) Letter of recommendation from your advisor or sponsoring professor. The letter should indicate your advisor’s support of your proposed project and her/his assessment of your readiness to carry out and complete the proposed research. Your sponsor may send the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org as a word document or PDF. (See below for paper mailing address if necessary.)
Applications will be reviewed beginning Friday, May 15, 2015 and continuing until the position is filled.
Additional queries about the CONNECT Research Fellowship and/or the application process should be directed to Melissa Cook, Assistant Director of CONNECT at email@example.com.
Visit www.connect.gseis.ucla.edu to learn more about CONNECT.
Please submit applications to:
CONNECT: A Center for Research and Innovation in Elementary Education
UCLA Box 951619
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Campus Mail Code: 161906